Method 3: Drink Peppermint Tea
Anecdotal accounts render peppermint tea as an effective remedy for gas and bloating. The menthol oil present in the peppermint tea is responsible for its benefits. It relieves the spasms in the muscles to allow the body to pass the gas through flatulence, thus getting rid of bloating.
The components in peppermint help get the gas moving instead of letting it accumulate and cause pain and distension in the stomach.
Step 1. Make a cup of peppermint tea
- Put 1 peppermint tea bag into 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Allow the tea to steep for 5 to 10 minutes, as per your taste preference.
- Remove and discard the tea bag after steeping.
Step 2. Drink the peppermint tea before bed
Drinking this peppermint tea can help relieve gas and bloating within minutes.
Drinking this tea before bed can ease digestion, prevent bloating and help you ease into sleep.
Method 4: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
The multipurpose apple cider vinegar (ACV) can also help you deal with bloating by expelling trapped gas from the stomach. Intestinal gas is often the result of undigested food fermenting in the stomach. The probiotics present in apple cider vinegar kick-start the digestion, relieving bloating and preventing further gas buildup.
Be sure to get organic, raw apple cider vinegar with the “mother” present in it, as that is the source of the probiotics and digestive enzymes that provide these benefits.
Step 1. Add apple cider vinegar to water
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw, organic ACV to 1 cup of water.
Step 2. Mix and consume the drink once a day
- Mix the solution well.
- Consuming this drink once a day can help you expel the gas immediately, providing temporary relief.
- In most cases, this remedy is a success, but if the situation persists, continue to consume the drink once a day until you get rid of bloating.
Method 5: Use Fennel Seeds
Chewing fennel seeds after meals is a tradition in India. Not only does it freshen your breath, it also aids digestion. Fennel seeds contain volatile oils that stimulate bile production, thus improving digestion. The components present in fennel get undigested food moving through the gastrointestinal tract, preventing further production of gas.
You can chew fennel seeds directly or drink fennel tea. Chewing fennel seeds can be done on the go, and you can enjoy fennel tea whenever you get a chance to sit down.
Step 1. Make fennel tea
- Put 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds into 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Cover the glass and allow the seeds to steep for about 5 minutes.
Step 2. Drink the tea with the seeds
Consume the fennel tea along with the seeds for maximum benefits in order to treat gas and bloating. Most of the times fennel works to relieve bloating instantly, but if the condition persists, continue to drink the tea everyday until you get relief.
Method 6: Consume Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is probably one of the best remedies to get relief from gas and bloating quickly. If you’re plagued by particularly stinky toots, charcoal is the way to go.
Activated charcoal, also known as activated carbon, is an odorless and tasteless powder. Some brands also produce flavored varieties. Its high porosity helps absorb the toxins and intestinal gas along with its noxious odor.
- Activated charcoal can be consumed in capsule, tablet or powder form. The dosage for adults is between 500 mg and 1,000 mg (2 to 4 capsules).
- You can take it as a curative as well as a preventive measure. As a preventive measure, it should be taken before a meal that’s likely to cause flatulence.
- Always take activated charcoal on an empty stomach to prevent it from absorbing the nutrients in your food.
Note: If you’re on any sort of medication, there should be a gap of about 2 hours between the consumption of medication and the charcoal. That’s because activated charcoal can also absorb the medication. You should consult your doctor in such situations.